When you arrive in Canada

Useful information for your arrival in Canada

Financial needs when you arrive

Bring with you a money order or bank draft to cover up to $2,500 CDN of living expenses for the first month, which will give you time to open a bank account in Canada.

If you enter Canada with more than $10,000 CDN in your possession (cash, cheque, etc.), you must declare it to a Canadian border services agent.

For more information, visit the  website.

Open a bank account

When you arrive in Ottawa, we recommend that you open a Canadian bank account.

To do this, you will need

  • Your passport
  • A student card
  • Your study permit

The process is free, but the bank will usually ask for an initial deposit to activate the account.

The bank will give you a client card, which will allow you to make withdrawals at bank machines and pay for your purchases at most stores and businesses.

It is possible to get a credit card once you are in Canada, but we recommend that if you have one, you bring a credit card from your home country.

Here is a list of several Canadian banks:

Student card

To obtain your student card, you must book an appointment online : Current Students - Student Identity Cards (ustpaul.ca)
Please note that you can only obtain your student card once your student fees have been paid.

UOttawa email address

You must get your email address from the University of Ottawa, which offers this service to ̫ӳ. ̫ӳ will use this email address to communicate with you throughout your studies.

Payment of tuition fees and the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

You must pay your tuition fees in their entirety as well as your UHIP contribution when you arrive in Ottawa.

You can pay by cheque, by debit card or by bank transfer at ̫ӳ’s Financial Services, room G172.

Working in Canada

As an international student, you can work on the ̫ӳ campus as well as off campus. However, you must respect the conditions of your study permit.

Your spouse can also work, but they must apply for a work permit.

For more details, see Working in Canada.